Several lawyers have asked me how should they determine the newsworthiness of a particular legal matter. Although each situation is unique, I tell them to consider the following:
Do you or your clients face:
- Publicity-seeking opponents?
- A unique or unusual lawsuit?
- Well-known attorneys or parties?
- A matter with a large sum of money at stake?
- A matter involving a current hot media topic?
- The application of new law, or the new application of old law?
- A matter where the outcome will have broad implications?
- A matter with political or regulatory aspects?
- A matter with a compelling human interest angle?